3.8.11

The Magic of Flying

I grew up designing, building, flying and crashing various kinds of rockets, U-control, and radio control aircraft. There were very few things that gripped my imagination more as a boy. The first time I flew a 2-meter glider I had built, my hands were shaking I was so nervous and excited. It was fantastic (and the climb up the spruce tree to retrieve it later wasn't bad either).

Watching this amazing video of a more design that follows the motion of a bird re-awakened all the magic. It's a fantastic machine that really does change the way we might consider flying things (or ourselves) around. I'd love to see a next step where electronic or pneumatic muscles provide the motion rather than a rotating motor but it loses none of the wonder when you see it actually flying around the auditorium in a controlled way.

 

No comments: